Knights of Columbus
On Oct. 2, 1881, a small group of men met in the basement of St. Mary’s Church on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, Connecticut. Called together by their 29-year-old parish priest, Father Michael J. McGivney, these men formed a fraternal society that would one day become the world’s largest Catholic family fraternal service organization. They found strength in solidarity and safety in their shared purpose, and pledged to serve and defend their Church, their community and their families with virtue. They chose as their patron Christopher Columbus, recognized as a Catholic and celebrated as the discoverer of America. The Knights of Columbus has been called “the strong right arm of the Church” and been praised by presidents and other world leaders for their support of the Church, support for evangelization and catholic education, and charitable works for the needy. Members develop close intellectual and social ties through charitable work, educational endeavours, and support for the community and parish.
The late Fr. Stan Bąk recognized that the Knights of Columbus was a solid organization that could benefit the parish, and founded the St. Maximilian Kolbe Council 9612 in 1987, including it in all aspects of our parish life.
For more information, please contact Jan Hapek at (905) 276-3789.